Eating with braces
Feeling peckish? If you’ve been fitted with braces, then you will need to watch what you eat. Some foods are fine for your teeth, but others can damage both your teeth and your braces, thus affecting the results of your treatment. Here’s a handy guide to what you can and can’t eat while having orthodontic treatment.
It’s ok to eat…
- Lots of fruit and veges, but for harder pieces like apples and carrot, chop them up or grate them.
- Soft food, like macaroni cheese, scrambled eggs, pancakes and porridge.
- Soups and smoothies – just watch out for the seeds in smoothies made from berries.
- Lots of water – keep your H20 intake up. It helps keep your mouth fresh and is good for you.
It’s not ok to eat…
- Hard lollies that are chewy or sticky as they can really damage your braces.
- Popcorn – the little kernels get stuck in your braces and make it hard for you to clean.
- Chewing gum – again, it can damage your braces by getting stuck in the appliance.
- Hard pizza crusts – it’s ok to eat the soft pizzery bit though and that’s the yummiest part.
For more information on looking after your braces, check out our information leaflets.