Looking after your braces
Bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease are just some of the conditions that can affect you if you don’t take care of your teeth. That’s why we are taught at a very early age to brush our teeth in the morning and evening, and after every meal or snack.
Brushing your teeth is just as important, if not more, when you are wearing braces. That’s because food can get stuck in the brackets and arch wires. To care for your braces properly and to help reduce the amount of plaque that can build up on your teeth, follow our top tips to brace care.
Top tips for brace care
- Clean your teeth carefully after every meal and snack
- Make sure to clean all surfaces of your teeth
- If you have been fitted with fixed braces, be sure to clean each bracket individually
- If you are wearing removable braces, take these out to make brushing and flossing easier
- Be sure to clean your removable braces as well as your own teeth
- Use an orthodontist-recommended toothbrush or an electric toothbrush with an orthodontic-approved head
- Floss at least once a day
- Use fluoride mouthwash daily
- Avoid sugar and fizzy drinks
- Avoid hard, chewy and sticky food and sweets
If you have been fitted with removable braces, we have a ‘care pack’ you can buy from reception. This includes a small toothbrush, a box of Retainer Brite and a box to keep your brace in when you’re not wearing it.
If you have been fitted with fixed braces, we have a ‘care pack’ you can buy from reception. This contains special toothbrushes, disclosing tablets, fluoride mouthwash, special floss and lots more to help you look after your brace properly.
Watch our information video on how to look after your braces.